Wednesday 10 February 2010

My first school meal in 15 years

In my capacity as a school governor at Alfred Sutton school, I visited the school to check out the school meals today. It was roast day so my colleague went for the beef and I tried the vegetarian option, a very tasty lentil loaf, both came with roast potatoes, vegetables, home-made bread and gravy and were followed by a fruit salad. 10 out of 10 for taste and 9 out of 10 for presentation.

Following on from Jamie Oliver's campaign school dinners now taste better and are healthier for you. However, a lot of children bring packed lunches and these often contain a large proportion of sugary, salty, fatty snacks. Changing hats, the Green Party would like to see every child offered a free school meal funded by the government to ensure that each child has at least one healthy meal a day, helping to improve their health and life chances.

No comments: