Sunday 31 July 2011

Vegetables upfront


As many of you will know I am a keen gardener -- although unfortunately the political year does not fit particularly well with the growing year!

At home I look after the front garden and Samantha my partner looks after the back. The front garden is concrete, so I have located a variety of containers out there in which I am growing vegetables.

So far this year I have harvested some chard, broad beans, purple sprouting broccoli and various herbs. I have started to fill the spaces left with various varieties of lettuce. Still in the ground are runner beans, kale, beetroot and chard.

The main question I get about growing vegetables in the front garden is "don't they get stolen". I am pleased to report that I have never had anything nicked. In fact I think growing in the front garden is better in a lot of ways as there is more of a social/community element to it with neighbours and random people often passing comment.

I notice that some of my neighbours in Newtown and across the ward grow vegetables in a similar setting. And I think it would be great to see even more productive front gardens.

No comments: