Wednesday 12 March 2014

Belated postcard from Bristol

Sam managed to prise me away from Reading a little while ago and we got the train down to Bristol for the weekend. Probably my last holiday before the elections, but it was a good one.

I stayed up too late the night before setting off downloading a few things to listen to. I sometimes get accused of being a bit one track on politics, so I thought I would broaden my cultural horizons and downloaded Grayson Perry’s Reith lectures on art.

On the first day we did a bit of exploring, found the tourist information office and kept dry in the Watershed bar and cafe. In the evening we went to Hugh’s (not even going to attempt his surname) River Cottage Canteen which took a bit of walking to get to, but was very good! Sam had a spelt risotto dish, I had a polenta lasagna and we swapped halfway.

The next day we did the Bristol open topped bus tour and walked round the shops in Stokes Croft. We were getting a bit cold though, so popped into a cafe for a mulled cider. Then we started to get hungry and so went to Pie Minister which I would definitely recommend.

Early evening on Sunday we saw Inside Llewyn Davis at the Watershed cinema which was a really good film with an amazing soundtrack. I would have been a bit depressed at the end of it were it not for the fact that we had to rush to catch our train back to Reading.

All in all we had a good time and I would definitely recommend a visit to Bristol.

No comments: